Skip to main content

Do I have enough grounds to constitute a lawsuit for public defamation of character and slander?

Schenectady, NY |

I am listed as "Most Wanted" on a local news station's website. I had a petty legal case ("Offering a False Instrument") that was resolved almost a year ago and am absolutely not "wanted" anymore so their information is way out of date and way out of line. It's viewable to the public on their website and they have refused to take it down. A simple Google search result of my name pops it up and is making it difficult to find employment in this area. What steps can/should I take?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


They probably won't take it down, but you can retain one of those companies like which puts up a lot of good information about you, so the story gets pushed down on the Google results.


Contact the local news station and nicely demand to speak with someone about this. If you hire an attorney to contact them it will have more weight.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Maybe but the statute of limitations is likely one year from the original publication on the website. Is the page current or are you seeing a cached page. Consult a local defemation lawyer asap.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Retain legal counsel to write to the TV station to demand that it remove this information from its web-site. If that doesn't work, sue the TV station for defamation. Unfortunately, however, if the web-page was reasonably accurate before your legal case was resolved, the TV station may have no legal obligation to take it down, and your claim for defamation would probably fail.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer