Skip to main content

Do I have any rights in telling my husband to move out of my neighborhood?

Cumberland, MD |
Attorney answers 4


Courts are pleased when both parents want to maintain close ties with their children. The only reason a court might not be pleased with his proximity to you is if there are any acts of domestic violence from him. What is your main reason for objecting to him living close to you? If you believe you have good reasons for not wanting him close to you, I suggest you consult with an attorney and share the specific details.

Office: (410) 381-1656. This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.


As my colleague stated -- you have to have a good reason for not wanting him there. A reason that affects your safety and well being. It's unlikely that you can force him to move for no good reason.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


Both of the earlier answers are correct. I don't know any of the particular circumstances of your case. However, although this may be obnoxious on his part, absent some menacing or otherwise threatening behavior, it is very unlikely that there is anything that you can do about this other than move yourself.


The attorneys who have provided answers to your question are correct and their advice is legally sound. I would only add that I have had several cases in which an ex-spouse moved into a house within a few blocks of their ex. (One actually moved from out of state to the same neighborhood.) Although a little unusual and unsettling to the spouse who lived in the neighborhood first, none reported any problems or issues with the close proximity of their ex in the long run (and, in one case, the children actually benefited from, and enjoyed, the close proximity of their parents).

The response provided to this answer is not intended as legal advice and is for general informational purposes only. The posting of a response to this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between Stern & Associates and the individual who posted the question.