Skip to main content

Do I have any recourse in an attempted sexual abuse or whatever it would be called after 17 years. Can I do anything?

Muscatine, IA |

My brother-in-law tried to make me have sex in my home while my children were outside I had to physically fight him off. He ended up in just his underwear fully aroused and I fought to get away. I did get away and he eventually left. Even though he didn't get it done it has affected me more than I ever knew. He kept coming around and me and the kids would lock the doors close the blinds and sit in the middle of the living room until he would go away. The older kids remember this. Finally he stopped I didn't know why until 2 years ago before my dad died I told him about it and he said he was called by someone that the police were at my house and HE was there also. My dad came over but I didn't know any of this until then. Apparently a neighbor called police because he was in my yar

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You need counseling; perhaps your children do as well.

There are Statutes of Limitations that may apply.

Those require some action within a period of time following a wrong for the courts to address that wrong. I do not know which limits would apply in the state where this happened, which I assume is Iowa.

You should consult a local personal injury lawyer on whether you can still take action. If they believe you can, they may be willing to work on a contingency basis.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police: