Do I have any obligation to return to an employer who laid me off? After filing for unemployment insurance, ex-boss is calling.

Clarence, NY |

After a surviving a tumultuous and hostile work environment in Nov,December and into Jan 2014 my previous employer finally created enough reasoning for himself to let me go by "laying me off" this past Friday. He said there was "no work coming in" However he would not assign me work or let me work on cases that could've been worked on for unknown reason. It was clear that he was trying to terminate me. . Even after all I have been through/put up with, I went out a classy note. I just thank him for the time at the firm and shook his hand. This caught him offguard. He stated that if some work would come along he would hire me "off the books" on a case basis.No thanks. I filed for unemployment. After 3 days being gone he is calling me back.I have changed my mind about working there everagain.

Because I have been "laid off" I’m eligible for UI in NY. The ex-boss does not like to pay for claims.He is now trying to avoid this by calling me back. I have since rethought things and the hostile work environment I was working in. I put up with mths of being berated. I encountered health problems as a result of his inflicted stress. I filed for UI and have been actively seeking new jobs. Employees at the ex-employer believe that he’s trying to stop me from getting UI by now offering me a job back.There are no details& no offer.There will be nothing in writing ever.It’s a bad situation and I don’t want to return.People have told me that he will fight my unemployment if I don’t return his phone calls or comeback to some sort of work that he offers me.I don't think I should be obligated to go back to that situation

To qualify for unemployment benefits, you cannot refuse work, unless you can prove that conditions are so intolerable you cannot work there.

The information provided above is for general purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Seek competent legal representation, because the facts of each case are different.

Because I have been "laid off" I’m eligible for UI in NY. The ex-boss does not like to pay for claims.He is now trying to avoid this by calling me back. I have since rethought things and the hostile work environment I was working in. I put up with mths of being berated. I encountered health problems as a result of his inflicted stress. I filed for UI and have been actively seeking new jobs. Employees at the ex-employer believe that he’s trying to stop me from getting UI by now offering me a job back.There are no details& no offer.There will be nothing in writing ever.It’s a bad situation and I don’t want to return.People have told me that he will fight my unemployment if I don’t return his phone calls or comeback to some sort of work that he offers me.I don't think I should be obligated to go back to that situation. I survived these past mths and suffered from stress/anxiety due to his treatment. It’s been documented by a physician. What do I need to do? Does he have the right to "fight" this? Am I obligated to return? I don’t like being unemployed and I need a job, but at what price?I do not want to call him back nor get into any arguments with him on the phone. He is now having ex-coworkers call me to get me to respond. I need good advice.

What would I need to provide to show that it is intolerable? I can get statements from other employees. I can get a physicians letter etc. I never knew that I could've quit months ago for these reason I described. i would have gone that route had I known. I was told not to quit. Anyways I have not been given any offer. I have just been called by him. he left a message to call him back. He is having employees try to call me or txt me to get me to respond. There is no offer. Nor do i want to listen to him or argue with him. If I don't take his calls or receive anything in writing then how do I even know there is an offer. I am only speculating. But it's clear he is scheming as the situation at work hasn't changed one bit and no new work has come in. Nothing has changed

Thanks for your help and advice. I will check tomorrow morning for your responses. Good night for now. Thx

Alix R. Rubin

Alix R. Rubin

You should meet with an attorney who handles unemployment claims in New York to help you.

1. You never have to accept work off the books. Work off the books is illegal work.
2. If the work is legitimate, then it is likely that if you refuse it you may lose your unemployment benefits.
3. If you were experiencing a hostile work environment, as in an environment in which you experienced either discrimination, sexual harassment or retaliation, then you should be sitting down with an experienced employment attorney for a free consultation immediately.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction.