Skip to main content

Do I have any chance to get a green card through a job offer?

Miami, FL |

I have been living in the States for 5 years, working for 2 different companies as executive director (I had e1 visas).
The visa expired in 2012, and I currently living in Italy, where I am originally from, but I would like to get back to the States to live with my wife.
The latest employer I had is willing to take me back to work for him and start a process of asking a green card for me.
I have read about a consular process since I am living in Italy.... do you think that I have any chance of getting the green card? The job for which I am applying is specialized and my previous jobs and studies are related to the job.
Furthermore the company is italian and needs me specifically for this job.
Thanks a lot for your help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Only a private consultation with an attorney could answer your question, and this might depend as much on your employer (and if they have a lawyer ask that lawyer) as it depends on you. You may have several options available, even outside of your employment, but to explore them fully you should consult an attorney since your individual circumstances play into that advice.

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.


Yes, you may be able to qualify for permanent residence through a job offer.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Thank you for the high expectations you carry about AVVO. You want an answer and a precise one right here on AVVO. Correct? I do not think so. Consult with an immigration attorney in private and pay for the consultation. THis is not a general question but a consultation for quite some time.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer