Skip to main content

Do I have a right to oppose my ex's mom as a proposed supervisor for his supervised visitation?

Chicago, IL |

My daughter's dad was just ordered supervised visitation. We are going to court on Tuesday to appoint a supervisor. He wants his mom to supervise. While I don't want to be impossible, and say "no" to all his proposed supervisors, I have real concern with his mom for 2 reasons: the first is that she and my ex used to say demeaning and disparaging things about his older daughter's mom right in front of her, and I believe they would do the same thing in front of my daughter. My 2nd concern is that I went to mom years ago with concern about my ex's substance abuse problems, and she turned a blind eye to it, and in fact, turned against me entirely. I don't believe she would have a discerning eye to see if her son was behaving inappropriately during visitation. Do I have a right to oppose her?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, you have a right to object to the proposed supervisor. Come to court with several alternate names. There are also paid supervisors in the area who are well trained and neutral. Consider a supervising service if you cannot come to an agreement.


sure, you may oppose her. tell the judge why and whom you propose.


You have the right to object to his mother being the supervisor. Explain your reasons to the judge, and be ready to suggest some viable alternative supervisors. One possibility would be to call 411 for Family Solutions Inc. in the S.W. suburbs. It provides off-duty police officers to supervise for $75.00 per hour.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein


There are also other options for trained professionals at lower cost.


Yes, I do agree you have the right to oppose of any person that is allowed to supervise your child; however, you should be clear and concise when explain to the court your reasoning's. You may state your concerns, provide facts, if possible, and not hypotheticals. Of course, you want what is best for your daughter; however, you do not want to appear difficult or make false assumptions of what may or may not happen. Provide a list of alternative proposed supervisors for your daughter with some sort of verification they would be more qualified to care for her.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer