Skip to main content

Do I have a case?

Philadelphia, PA |

Sister was sent to rehab last april, and was neglected--no vital signs taken, no personal care for hours in a day. Needed to be rushed to a hospital and wrong chart was sent with her. I contacted department of health in Pennsylvania the facility was cited. My sister did pass away at age 54 the next day. She had cancer but main cause of death, was pulmonary collapse, second cause was septic shock. I feel if she had been monitor better things would have been different.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I am sorry to hear about your sister. It would be tough to prove causation here, and our firm couldn't do it, but if you search Avvo for a wrongful death lawyer in your city, you can call to discuss the facts and circumstances and see if there is a viable claim. Good luck to you.

Lassen Law Firm Personal Injury Lawyers Philadelphia. Phone 215-510-6755.


You may have a case for malpractice. You should have an experienced medical malpractice attorney evaluate the case. The medical record will need to be reviewed by an expert. This should be done as soon as possible. Sorry to hear of this.


Losing a sister is hard. I'm sorry. From your facts it sounds as if the rehab facility did not act in accordance with a proper standard of care for someone in your sister's condition. The challenges in your sister's case would be causation and the extent of the damages. Pulmonary collapse and septic shock could have been caused by the failure of the hospital or rehab facility to act w/in the proper standard of care. However, your sister's cancer gives the insurance co. lawyers a fertile ground to question causation and the extent of any damage caused by the wrongful acts of the rehab facility or the hospital. You would need what I call "hero expert" doctors to convince a jury of medical negligence. Doctor experts are expensive and the damage verdict would have to justify the expenses of such a case. Get an opinion from a PA medical negligence expert lawyer who offers free consultation. Get a second opinion. Then you'll have a pretty good idea what to do.

Disclaimer - the information provided on our website or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation.


It is not possible to say if you have a case based on a short description. Based on my experience in these cases, a thorough review of the circumstances, including the medical records is necessary.

You don't say what type of cancer your sister had and its Stage. Given your sister's age, you should have this matter reviewed by a PA malpractice attorney.

The answer is based on the limited facts provided and is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Contacting me, by itself, does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer