Do I get a Lawyer for my Husband?

Las Vegas, NV |

My husband was charged with 2 counts on Burglary 2 counts on Forgery & 2 counts on theft! This is his first offense. His bail is $60,000. I dont know if its better to get a Lawyer or just let him get represented with a public defender? Would it make a difference ?

Best Answer

Yet another matter in which you should completely ignore out of state lawyers jumping in. They have *no* idea what the local environment.

If you have any way of getting private counsel, you should. It is not that the public defenders aren't capable lawyers, but that their load is so heavy that they can't take the time a private attorney can.

Either Mr. Goodman or my partner Thomas Boley would be capable of handling this.

How could I contact either one of them? My husband has court 10/3 !

Richard Edmund Hawkins

Richard Edmund Hawkins

To the right of my name are buttons for email and our website. I know that we have some Monday afternoon openings.

There are plenty of good public defenders. However, a private lawyer will dedicate his time and resources to your husband's defense compared with a public defender who is responsbile for 100s of clients.

The information presented here is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The Goodman Law Group, P.C. recommends that you consult an attorney with experience in your specific legal issue. Please contact us to schedule a confidential discussion of your situation. Such communication does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind until a formal engagement agreement is signed by both you and the Goodman Law Group, P.C.

Can some of thise charges be dropped?

It really wouldn't make a difference because court appointed attorneys are fully capable of advocating on their client's best interests. It is best that he go ahead and requests a court appointed attorney so that he will have counsel. If you decide to later retain counsel, the court appointed attorney can file a Motion to Withdraw. You don't want to be placed in a position where you husband waives his right to counsel and is unable to retain private counsel.

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek a full consultation with a licensed attorney before relying on any advice offered through this website