Do Attorney's Still Fight For Injured Workers, Should I seek new counsel?

Santa Maria, CA |

Psyche claim was accepted in 2004 along with injured body parts, some how the CA comingled claims and discovered they made a mistake by allowing me to see a psychiatrist. CA denied payment for psychiatrist starting in Jan 2012, and my attorney said he "was on the case". To this date, I have not seen my psychiatrist and attorney promised we would go before a judge in March 2012, than it moves to April, June, July, August. Now the lawyer wont' return phone calls or letters I have sent him.

No offer as ever been made to settle my claim, and I have no idea where it currently stands. Should I worry a year has almost passed and we have not been before a judge? Is it normal to no keep a client updated every three to five years? Should I seek a new attorney to help me?

Best Answer

You should make a 15-20 minute appointment to see your Attorney. Write down all your questions so you get them answered at the same time. If you cannot get an Appointment within 30 days, you should consider getting another Attorney.

We give free general concepts to be helpful, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.

can you take a case outside of OC if my lawyer refuses to see me? My injury was in 2003.

I concur with Mr.Corson. Youmustaddresss the issues withyour present counsel. Good luck.

You need to schedule a fact to face meeting with your attorney ASAP to ask him/her these same questions. As stated, if you cannot get the appointment scheduled soon then it may be wise to start looking for a new attorney.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Brett A. Borah

Brett A. Borah

I agree with my colleagues. You've now got 4 lawyers tellling you to make a sit down, face to face appointment with your lawyer. Have your questions written down ahead of time so you keep on agenda. Tell him what you want and when you want it done. If he can't or won't do it....

Mr. Borah, what do I do if he continues to refuse my phone calls for a reviewing of my case? I was invited to come into the office in 2006 and sat in the office while the attorney fumbled with my case notes, and paperwork. Finally, after sitting for forty minutes in his waiting room, he asked me if I could come back because "he had lost his place in my "book of medical notes" and his secretary finally said " Attorney need's to study your case because he is missing lots of paperwork and does not know what is happening with your case. My attorney, he had a massive stroke and took a long leave of time off, and that's when it became impossible to find any information out. With each new call and request to meet, I was not provide me with a answer or time to sit down and meet? Should I send another letter since my phone calls and regular letters are ignored? Certified? I feel bad for my attorney, I would hate to work after enduring a massive illness like he did but I am not a healthy "Spring Chicken" myself. Can you accept cases that are not in your local area or does it not make sense to have a attorney one hundred and seventy miles from my home?

Brett A. Borah

Brett A. Borah

I won't take a case that far away. There are some great comp attorneys on the central coast. You can call me for a referral.