Do all felons have to register in Florida

Orlando, FL |

I was convicted of a class F felony in Ny back in Aug. 2001, it was grand larceny and criminal possession of a forged instrument. I was released with merits and good time by the Governor of Ny and completed my parole in 2007 with no violations, which is almost impossible to do as it seems they just look for ways to put you back in prison. Any way, I received all of my rights back from the state of Ny, such as voting privileges. I moved to Fl not to long ago and was reading through here and see people saying they have to register if they have a felony. Is that all felonies or just certain ones?

All felons must register in the county in which they reside.

Is it lifetime registration or only for so many years after the sentencing that I would be required to register??

Regina Laverne Wright

Regina Laverne Wright

See Florida Statute 775.13, I believe that the statute indicates you do not have to register if it has been more than five years since you were released from all supervision regaring your case. You may also qualify for another exemption from registering. One does not have to register if their civil rights have been restored. (a) Who has had his or her civil rights restored; (b) Who has received a full pardon for the offense for which convicted; (c) Who has been lawfully released from incarceration or other sentence or supervision for a felony conviction for more than 5 years prior to such time for registration, unless the offender is a fugitive from justice on a felony charge or has been convicted of any offense since release from such incarceration or other sentence or supervision; (d) Who is a parolee or probationer under the supervision of the United States Parole Commission if the commission knows of and consents to the presence of the offender in Florida or is a probationer under the supervision of any federal probation officer in the state or who has been lawfully discharged from such parole or probation; (e) Who is a sexual predator and has registered as required under s. 775.21; (f) Who is a sexual offender and has registered as required in s. 943.0435 or s. 944.607; or (g) Who is a career offender who has registered as required in s. 775.261 or s. 944.609. (5) The failure of any such convicted felon to comply with this section: (a) With regard to any felon not listed in paragraph (b), constitutes a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. (b) With regard to any felon who has been found, pursuant to s. 874.04, to have committed any offense for the purpose of benefiting, promoting, or furthering the interests of a criminal gang, constitutes a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. (6) Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect any law of this state relating to registration of criminals where the penalties for registration, notification, or reporting obligations are in addition to, or in excess of, those imposed by this section.

Unless you have had your civil rights restored you must register as a felon. It appears you are saying New York restored your rights. If that is the case I believe Florida would honor that restoration. You should consult with an attorney before relying on his answer to be sure you don't have to register.

All felons must register, but if Mr. Damore is right, you may not have to. He would be a great attorney, in Daytona, to consult on this and make sure that you don't have to register because your rights have been restored. If you were not adjudicated guilty, you also would not have to register.