Skip to main content

Divorce Settlement damage

Redwood City, CA |

My husband and I separated and he remained in the house. I stayed with friends and family. We have now divided the separate and community property. Upon arrival to move the furniture, the leather sofa and upholstered chairs of mine(separate) had been damaged by cat scratches and urine stains. What course of action can/do I take? Do I leave the damaged property or do I repair it and send him the bill?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You should take pictures and send him the bill, sorry to hear this and good luck. If he doesn't pay you can file a complaint in either the district court for civil damages or your divorce court.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.



They were not divorced so how can she make him pay for repairs to" his" property