Skip to main content

Divorce or annulment in NY ?

Flushing, NY |

I am living in NY and been married with my wife for 5 months . We plan to divorce recently. I have 2 questions:
1. If we can announce annulment, do I need to declare the marriage next time when I get married ?
2. Since we have been married for not over 6 months, do I have to declare annulment ? Or we can also get a normal divorcement ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


if you are just looking to dissolve the marriage and not looking for an annulment for religious reasons, I recommend waiting another month and filling for divorce. annulment s are much more complicated. the divorce will be faster, even with waiting a month


You can't declare an annulment, you have to seek one in court. And it requires a showing of fraud in the inducement to marry. You can get a divorce - and will probably need the help of a local attorney.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


Annulments are complicated and typically require a showing of fraud. It will likely be easier to get a divorce. If you are granted an annulment it will be as if the marriage had not existed but if you want to have a trusting relationship the next time around I would tell a future spouse.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us at 858-720-8250 or by email at Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship unless we are retained.


Wait the month and get a divorce. It'll be easier and faster in the long run.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer