Skip to main content

Divorce is not effective till other party receive documents by hand?is it a Michigan law?

Romulus, MI |

i am turned out from my home and living in another state .kindly tell me is it a law in MI.

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 5


The divorce enters when the Judge signs the Judgment of Divorce. You can call the courthouse in the county to see if the order was signed and request a copy.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.


If your whereabouts are unknown, then how can you be given the documents? The answer is "NO," it is not the law. There are procedures by which you may have been divorced and never know it. Once the Judge signs the Judgment of Divorce, the divorce is final and the marriage ended.

Neil M. Colman

Mr. Colman is licensed to practice law in Michigan. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Colman strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


In Michigan there must be service of the divorce papers on the other party for there to be a divorce. Talk to an attorney for more advice and information.

Good luck to you.

Henry Gornbein


The divorce is completed when the judge signs the divorce documents. Perhaps you are referring to the initial pleadings or complaints? If this is just the begining of the process then you really should make sure that you are apart of it. There are many excellent attorney who can help you.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


Are you referring either to Islamic "Talaq", or to being told by your spouse to leave, when you say that you were "turned out of your home"?

If you are, then you should know that, under Michigan law, there is no divorce unless a case is filed in Court, you are given notice, and, at the conclusion of the case, the judge signs a "Judgment" stating that you are divorced. Being "turned out of your home" does not give or grant a divorce.

Because you are living in another State, it is possible that your spouse gave you notice of a divorce case by publication, namely, a notice in a newspaper.

You should call a family lawyer in a county in, or near, where you and your spouse lived. The lawyer can check to see if a divorce was filed in a Court, and the status of that case. It is very important for you to contact a family lawyer, make an appointment with the lawyer, and discuss the case with the lawyer.

Good luck to you.

William L. LaBre, J.D.
Attorney at Law
68897 So. Cass Street
P.O. Box 550
Edwardsburg, MI 49112
Ph: 269/663-8554