Skip to main content

Divorce certificate replacement and uscis Hi i'm married to us citizen and we are filling for green card

Los Angeles, CA |

Hi i'm married to us citizen and we are filling for green card.
Befo i came to USA i was married and divorced in my country and i got divorce certificate which i lost it,now that i'm filling for GC i need my divorce certificate to show them that i'm divorced,i tried to get replacement from my country but they told that i have to be there to get it,i'm out of status because my visa expired and i can't leave the US.
my question : is there any way to show them that i'm really divorced? i have a witness
thank you,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


No. You may consider whether it is lawful to get another divorce in the US. Perhaps, not.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before this matter becomes more complicated. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


Perhaps an attorney in the location where you obtained the divorce can help

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


Most countries have service providers that can visit the courts and obtain copies of certified judgments on your behalf with your authorization. Your best bet will be to search the web for such a service provider. Unfortunately, affidavits will not be sufficient in this case and only a certified copy of the judgment of divorce will suffice.

This information is provided as a courtesy based upon the limited information provided in your post and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Robert Andrew Michael Burns

Robert Andrew Michael Burns


We call such an outfit an "attorney service" here.


The only way is by presenting the divorce certificate.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleagues that you need a divorce certificate, your sworn statement that you are divorce will not suffice, nor will witnesses suffice.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


I agree with all my colleagues. Another way may be to have a friend or relative go to the court where you were divorced and obtain a certified copy of your divorce certificate.

Legal disclaimer: The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer