Skip to main content


Tallahassee, FL |

My wife wants to divorce me,but I love her.How can I stop divorsing,please help?
We are newly married couple and she is younger than me,I explained her there always happy and unhappy times in family,that's why we should to understand each other,but instead she took our marriage certificate somewhere and came back,asked my passport and SSN.
How is the divorce work in US? How long does it take?Can it be stopped down the road,even she already applied?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Florida is a no fault divorce state. If she wants a divorce, she can get one even if you don't want it. How long it takes depends on what kind of property you share and whether you have kids, but six months to a year is normal if for a contested divorce, two months for an uncontested divorce.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.


I will answer your last question: yes, the divorce process can be stopped down the road, and it happens quite often that the parties will reconcile.

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.


If she wants a divorce, there is nothing you can do to stop it. She has to file and have you served. If you get served, I recommend you hire a local family law attorney.


Only one party has to want the divorce for it to occur. As others have said here, Florida is a no-fault state. If both parties agree to reconcile, the divorce can be stopped at any time. Just because you don't want a divorce isn't a good reason not to hire an attorney. Feel free to call me at 850-778-1355 for a free consultation.

My response to this question does not mean I agree to represent you in any proceedings. This information is also not subject to attorney-client privilege.


If you are served with Florida divorce paperwork, you have 2 options. You can either answer and counterpetition for the things you want or you may answer the the marriage is not broken and file a motion to initiate marriage counseling. If you have had marriage counseling before or there is a history of violence or any other unusual circumstance, the court may not grant the motion for counseling. If counseling is granted it is usually only for 30 to 90 days.

Please be sure to consult with an experienced family law attorney to address all your issues and advise you of your rights.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft


Most courts will not order counseling unless the other party agrees to it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer