Skip to main content

Divorce, what can and can't happen? Alimony and child support

Taylors, SC |

I've been married for 14 years and we have 3 children. My wife wants to leave me because she wants to be single. I've begged to work it out, but she just does not want to try. She's threatening me with child support and alimony. I make a little more then minimum wage, I can't afford to pay what shes asking.
What is legally possible in a case like this? What can happen?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If your children are under 18 yrs. of age then the spouse who has custody of the children will be entitled to receive child support. So the first issue that needs to be established is who has custody, then the amount os support will be determined from there. Alimony and the equitable distribution of the marital property will be worked out during the process so you will need to retain a lawyer that will know the entire situation and can properly advise you on your case.


The parent that gets custody will receive child support from the other parent, but without knowing much more information, it's not possible to provide an estimate. Also, the issue of alimony is dependent upon many factors, most of which are not provided in your inquiry.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens


Find a divorce lawyer in your county and consult with him or her in person. The "What can happen?" part of your question is too broad to be answered properly in this forum. You need to explain ALL of the facts of your situation, and this is best done in a one-on-one setting.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer