Skip to main content

District attorney wont drop petty theft charges. Help!!!

Los Angeles, CA |

So on January I got caught stealing from macys and got charged with pety theft. I have been to court twice hoping the they would dropped the charges or at least dropped them to a infraction but have no such luck. My public defender tells me that the DA doesn't want to drop the charges and are looking for me too settle for the offer they have , which is too settle for three years self probation and a $300 fine. I asked my public defender what are the chances that the DA drops the charges and he says there slim to none. I told him that I go to college and that im basically on my own but he says that it doesn't matter. Is there anything I can do that can help me drop the charge to an infraction? I go to court soon any help will help so much! Anything I can do save myself? Suggestions?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There is nothing that requires a DA to drop the charges. Unfortunately you admit that you are guilty, why would the people drop the charges? Listen to your PD he is right that your chances are slim. You may have your PD take a run at it again but if the DA does not want to reduce it, you are stuck...

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.


If you have no prior thefts and the amount is $ 50 or less you could be eligible for an infraction. If both are true and the prosecutor still will not infract the charge, your attorney can ask the Judge.


No one here can help you. You have an attorney. Perhaps you are expecting too much depending on the facts stated in the arrest report or your record. You admit to stealing and the state is entitled to punish you for it.

That being said: Ask you attorney if you're eligible for deferred entry of judgment. If this is your first offense and if the facts are not egregious, unless the court does not offer it, you should be eligible. If, at the end of your probationary period you have not committed a similar offense and complied with all terms and conditions, the case will be dismissed.

I suspect we do not have all the facts, however. A 3 year probationary period for a run-of-the-mill first offense petty theft is usually not 3 years.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


You admit you stole stuff from Macy's so while in the world would the DA drop the charges? Plus you already have an attorney who knows the facts of the case, so there is nothing we can offer. So you go to college - what's that got to do with anything? Take the plea, pay the fine and stop stealing stuff. You can get it dismissed at a later date pursuant to 1203.4 if you successfully complete probation which includes no more stealing things. Next question.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer