Skip to main content

Disorderly conduct in 2007. but court (prosecution) was in 2011, I get 1 year probation, can I apply for US Citizenship in 2014.

Salt Lake City, UT |
Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

yes you can apply


If that is your only conviction, yes.

To be eligible for naturalization, a person must:

1. Be a lawful permanent resident of the United States for 5 years, or 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen for a minimum of the 3 years (although there are certain exceptions to this requirement for persons who have honorable service in the U.S. Armed Forces);
2. Be physically present in the United States for over 50% of the required residency period;
3. Be a person of good moral character;
4. Take an oath of loyalty to the United States;
5. Be able to speak, read and write simple words and phrases in the English language (although there are certain exceptions to this rule); and
6. Pass a test in U.S. history and government.

Please see

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.