Skip to main content

Disorderly Conduct and and Resisting arrest, dropped to a Disorderly Conduct.

Binghamton, NY |

I guess the most important details are- I was drinking under age and vomited, cops came up to me, and I bad mouthed them. They proceeded to arrest me for bad mouthing them, but went about it in a pretty vindictive manner. They punched me, dragged me by the chain of the hand cuffs (Still have scars, and there were witnesses), while in the cop car one cop was torquing my legs in a painful manner and refused to stop (Though I was already in the car) so I struggled. Because I struggled I got a resisting arrest. I guess my question is If I proved that the police used excessive force, is it valid to argue that struggling was an act of self preservation and not resistance? I'm not as concerned about the violation as I am the resisting arrest.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Defending against resisting arrest is one of the toughest, beleive it or not. Public policy holds that no matter how justified you are in retrospect i.e. there was never a valid reason to arrest you, you can still be convicted of the resisting. Here you are stating that there may ba a valid arrest in the first instance which does not help. In circumstances, if "self-preservation" equates to self defense, you may be able to defend, but it depends on your witnesses, etc. Consult your criminal defense attorney and discuss your prospects.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.



Well the arrest was initiated based on what I said to the cop (Which was "You seem to be doing a great job". So I guess that you can make a argument against the validity of the the arrest. I said that coming from a perspective that the misdemeanor is my main concern not the violation. I mean if I was to get a bargain to take a plea for the violation and have the misdemenor dropped I would take it. However I guess that is irrelevant, thanks any ways.


This is a your word v. Cops case. Hire a good criminal defense lawyer. Hooefully your witnesses are credible.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


I agree with my colleagues. It will be an uphill battle, especially if they were justified in arresting you for whatever reason.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer