Skip to main content

Disclose deferred adjudication for minor in possession of alcohol on grad school application?

Austin, TX |

10 years ago (at age 19) I pled no contest to a citation for being a minor in possession of alcohol in Texas. I did community service and an alcohol awareness class and received deferred adjudication. This is my only run-in with the law--I've never even had a traffic ticket. Now I'm applying to grad school and the applications asks: "Have you ever been convicted, pled guilty or no contest to a crime other than a summary traffic offense?" Since I pled no contest I must disclose the MIP, right?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Right, unless you've had the MIP expunged. If you haven't already, now would probably be a good time to do so. Call lawyer Jamie Spencer in Austin.


I agree with Mr. Bennett...if you do it quickly enough you will be to answer that question without having to disclose your old arrest when filing out all applications.

In Texas you are considered an adult at the age of 17.