Skip to main content

Did we have to pay my deceased brother's tickets to transfer title and register his car in California?

Pleasanton, CA |

Our brother died a few weeks ago . His car needs to be driven a few hundred miles to our home and sold to help cover funeral costs . There were four outstanding tickets totaling about $ 400 . The police and DIV said we had to pay the first three tickets before the car could be registered . Once the car is registered , we have to then pay the ticket for expired tags . They also said that the title can't be transferred until the tickets are all paid and the registration renewed . Yesterday we paid $ 384 for the registration and late fees , only to learn that we now need proof of insurance to complete the registration so that we can pay the last ticket . . . only to learn that we didn't have to pay for ANY of his tickets OR the registration . We are very upset . Could you set us straight on this please ?

PLEASE NOTE: The car is already in California, just to clarify. My brother lived in southern California, and we live in northern California. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You might have been able to tow the vehicle home and register it in your new state without every paying anything to California. Of course the cost u haul equipment to get the towing done could have been more expensive that the tickets and registration. As long as the vehicle is out on the open road, you're going to want insurance on the vehicle anyway.

If you find an answer helpful please mark it as such or as the Best Answer. You have asked us to state an opinion based upon stated facts. You have not provided us with any documents, pictures, witness statements or other admissible evidence. The opinions stated are based upon general principles of law unless otherwise stated, which may or may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Controlling law is also subject to change or reversal at any time. Any such changes may be retroactive and could significantly modify the statements and opinions expressed herein. Similarly, any change in the facts and assumptions upon which this opinion is based could modify the conclusions. We opine only as to matters expressly set forth, no opinions should be inferred as to other matters or to treatment of matters not specifically addressed. This opinion represents our best judgment as to the probable outcome of the issues discussed and is not binding on the courts or upon your adversaries. We can give no assurance that an adversary would not challenge our conclusions and prevail in the courts in a manner to cause adverse consequences. With respect to some of the matters discussed in the opinion, existing legal precedent may provide very little legal guidance. Although the opinions and views expressed are based on our best interpretations of existing law and what we believe a court would probably conclude if presented with the applicable issues, we can give no assurance that our interpretations would be followed if the issues became the subject of judicial or administrative proceedings. Realization of certain benefits described is subject to the risk that someone may challenge the treatment and that a court may sustain the challenge. Because you may bear the burden of proof required to establish a fact, the opinions expressed assume the you will undertake the effort and expense to present fully the case in support of any matter that you have asserted and an opponent might challenge. None of the advice provided here may be used to avoid tax liability, interest or penalties. If you want that level of assurance you will need to allow us to perform the full opportunity to explore the facts and law applicable to your specific circumstances. I provide answers here to allow people to see the style of communication and type of analysis applied to factual statements.



I'm so sorry for the confusion. Actually, the car is in California. My brother lived here, but he was in southern California, and we're in northern California.


Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

I am sorry for your loss. The outstanding citations would have been liens on the vehicle's title, so they had to be paid off before the DMV would allow a transfer of title. Also, your brother's assets cannot be transferred to his heirs until your brother's liabilities have been satisfied. Be sure to consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer