Federal "Good Conduct Time" has finally been raised to the full 15% (leaving 85% to serve), instead of the roughly 13 % that the BOP was offering. Changes apply across the federal system, to every prison in any state.
But there is no truth to the "65%" number, which has unfortunately been around longer than I've been practicing.
This answer DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship, and DOES NOT address the many specific and confidential variables needed to provide adequate legal advice. This answer is ONLY general guidance.
The federal good time credit is not changing in Louisiana or any other state. It is 85% that has to be served. Inmates get 54 days a year off for good behavior. The First Step Act cleared up the way that is calculated because before the BOP gave a little less than 54 days off. It is not going down to 65%.
This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any jurisdiction in which I am not licensed. The answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the information provided, and may be inaccurate in the context of additional facts that have not been provided. The questioner should be aware that I am only licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Minnesota. Accordingly, before taking any action or refraining from taking any action, the questioner should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in his or her jurisdiction.
Federal early release for “exemplary” compliance, known as the “good conduct time” reduction, remains at 15%, resulting in 85% of the total sentence to serve, notwithstanding reductions for community confinement or the Residential Drug Abuse Program. – Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq., Atlanta, GA.
Our Rating is calculated using information the lawyer has included on their profile in addition to the information we collect from state bar associations and other organizations that license legal professionals. Attorneys who claim their profiles and provide Avvo with more information tend to have a higher rating than those who do not.What determines Avvo Rating?Experience & background
Years licensed, work experience, educationLegal community recognition
Peer endorsements, associations, awardsLegal thought leadership
Publications, speaking engagementsDiscipline