Skip to main content

Diagnosed with Cancer while collecting UI?

Long Branch, NJ |

Oct 2011 I was laid off collected UI switched to UID when I was diagnosed with cancer. UID was exhausted in Oct 2012. denied SSD twice. Disabled from Feb 2012 thru Sept 2013. What does someone in my case do now I am able to go back to work and cant collect UI. If I never got cancer (which I received no Help from my state or government) I would still be on UI with all the extensions. why cant re-apply to pick up where I left off 2 years ago? now what do I do to get back on my feet I am tapped out?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Why were you denied twice with SS? It is not unusual to be denied twice and then be successful on appeal. This is because a judge evaluated it on a different level than the agency. Whether I feel you would succeed depends on whether your disability will last more than two years and how it limits you. More facts are needed.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.



SSID said I wouldn't be disabled for 12 consecutive months. I am a Hairstylist and the Chemo caused neuropathy to the hands and feet not to mention extreme fatigue along with all the usual side effect that go along with chemo and radiation. with that I also had 2 major surgeries in between chemo treatments. What does someone do when they are on UI and become disabled for longer than UID allows you to collect. now after a year & a half fighting cancer I can even get back on UI. I do have an attorney for SS case however while I have been waiting and fighting cancer I am struggling to pay bills...I have worked for almost 30 years of my life and now when I need it most there is no help for me. it seems I am stuck in a situation that finds me in position disabled too long for UID and not long enough for SSD. I am thankful I have the friends and family that have helped me as much as possible however I owe them so much money I will never catch up...I am trying to get as much advice as possible....thank you for your time.


I agree with Ms. Navarrete. You indicated in the Comment section that you have an attorney for the SS case. That is good. Especially because you said SSA said your disability would not last 12 consecutive months and you were "disabled from Feb 2012 thru Sept 2013." This shows that SSA was wrong initially. You can always ask for a closed period of disability because your disability did last longer than 12 consecutive months and you have recovered sufficiently to return to work.
Contact your attorney and ask about any local agencies that can assist you with emergency payments for rent, utilities, etc.
Ask this question directly to your SS attorney.


Need some more facts. Have you requested a hearing based on your reconsideration denial? Did you have a hearing? Not sure why you were denied for a closed period on disability from 2/12 -9/13. If you did not have an attorney then now is the time to talk with someone.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Assuming that you qualify medically, you should be able to collect SSD for the period from onset to remission (Feb. 2012 - Sept. 2013) - 19 months. Denial at initial level and at reconsideration level is pretty par for the course. You should have your SSD lawyer file for Administrative law review - In the meantime, re-file for UI and see what they say - because of teh requirement of employment, you will probably not succeed, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Explain your situation and see if there is an exception to cover your situation.

The content of the this submission is intended to provide general information on the topic presented, and is offered with the understanding that the author is not rendering any legal or professional services or advice. This submission is not a substitute for legal advice. Should you require such services, retain competent legal counsel.