Skip to main content

Deposition officer in CA Divorce, please help!

Los Angeles, CA |

I am going through the stage of discovery in my divorce case. In order to avoid going homeless, I lied in my application to rent a unit for my two children and I. I applied for the unit with someone else so that I would qualify to get the rental. In our divorce case my ex has sent me a subpoena requesting from the leasing office all applications and leasing contracts related to the property in which I live.
Can I legally protect the information of the other person and their personal information that applied with me and is in the contract? They do not want to be involved in any legal matters. Also, his attorney is acting as a "deposition officer" and he is NOT. Is there a law I can reference to object to the subpoena because his attorney has financial interest in case?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

The papers will be produced, if questioned tell the truth. The judge may understand in this period of economic depression.

I handle family law matters:, child custody, property dispute in Los Angeles or Orange County, California. Always consult attorneys in your state!! Use Avvo’s tab “find a Lawyer” above.

In all legal matters, the court generally uses the reasoning of IRAC. I for issues, what are the facts and what remedies do you seek. R stands for rules and reasoning, what are the laws and what makes common sense. A is analysis how do the laws and common sense apply, C is conclusion, what are the arguments pro and con..

I do limited scope agreements, where I only prepare the papers for court and try to prepare you for testify; I always recommend using an attorney when you can afford one as that usually increases your chances of winning.
Do you want your current or ex-spouse to know or hire me first?

In child custody, the simplest explanation is “what is in the best interests of the child (ren). In support proof of earnings, needs of the children and percentage of time spent with the child(ren).

In Community versus Separate Property, considerations include tracing the funds, and how profits are made.

If you like my post, please mark it as “best” or “helpful”

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.



Thank you for your time. It sounds like I need to get a hold of you. The problem is that he is self-employed and manipulates his income, lies to the IRS, and pretends to make minimum wage in court. He is taking me to court to modify child and spousal support to $100 despite owning a successful company and making about $150 grand a year. It is disgusting. But what is more disgusting is our legal system and how difficult it is to prove the dishonestly of and "independent contractor." Thank you for your advice. I was going to object to the subpoena but perhaps not objecting and just saying the truth will benefit my stance as opposed to trying to cover it up. I was just nervous because I lied throughout the leasing application too about my job ect. Thank you for your time. I learned a lot and will try to contact you this week.



And yes, there is property involved that he is fighting tooth and nail for. I feel hopeless and lost.


I think you may be a little confused about what has been served. If it is in fact a subpeona, then presumably it was served on your landlord or the leasing office. You are merely being provided with a service (courtesy) copy. It is not your job to comply with the subpeona and unless you have a valid basis for objecting to it, you cannot stop the landlord from complying or interfere.

The attorney can serve or have served a subpeona for the production of records. Not sure if that's what you mean by his acting like a deposition officer.

Is this in fact a subpeona? Or were you served with a Request for Production? Or a notice of taking YOUR deposition with a request to produce documents at the deposition. Not sure what you mean when you say the attorney is "acting as a deposition officer".



Hi. Thank you for your time, yes it was a notice with a document at the end giving me the option to object. I was thinking to object on the basis that his attorney has listed himself as the receiving "deposition officer" when 2020 states that: "This deposition officer shall not be financially interested in the action, or a relative or employee of any attorney of the parties. Any objection to the qualifications of the deposition officer is waived unless made before the date of production or as soon thereafter as the ground for that objection becomes known or could be discovered by reasonable diligence."


Agreed with the other attorney's response. One more addition to answer your question: as a general rule, all information is discoverable (for example by subpoena) if it will likely lead to relevant evidence. And from what's presented above, there does not appear to be any confidentiality privileges.



Hello, thank you for your time. Does not 2020.410 state that "This deposition officer shall not be financially interested in the action, or a relative or employee of any attorney of the parties. Any objection to the qualifications of the deposition officer is waived unless made before the date of production or as soon thereafter as the ground for that objection becomes known or could be discovered by reasonable diligence." Is not his attorney an "interested party" ? Thank you.


I have read your comments to each of my colleagues answers. You're grasping at straws and barking up the wrong tree. The code section you cite has nothing to do with whether or not the adverse party's attorney can subpoena records from your landlord or require you to produce them at your deposition.

The application you submitted to your landlord is clearly discoverable in your dissolution case. Still, you may wish to file a motion pursuant to Code of Civil Procedure section 1987.1 if the notice or subpoena is procedurally defective. If would be defective if, for example, a Notice to Consumer was not served with a copy of the notice or subpoena. The subpoenaing party is not the deposition officer but merely counsel for opposing party, i.e., the requesting party.

The third party may also object by serving written objections on the landlord and opposing counsel prior to the production date. The third party, whose consumer information may be contained in the application, would have a substantially better basis to object than you.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer