Skip to main content

Deportation for domestic violence

Anaheim, CA |

My ex husband to be was convicted of a domestic violence misdemeanor. He recently traveled to Mexico and when he came back, he was held by immigration and was told he needed to appear in front of a judge and his permanent residence card was taken away. He has been a LPR for one year. What are the possibilities that he would be eventually deported? Is there anything that can be done so that he doesn't get deported? I was the one who called the police on him and have already filed for a divorce. We were married for 4 yrs and have 2 children together. He has a child from a previous relationship.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Since it appears that your relationship is breaking down, tell your ex-husband to consult with an attorney as soon as possible. Have him take his conviction documents to the evaluation to determine his options. If he was sent to deferred inspections, he should consult with an experienced immigration attorney before he does this. We have successfully represented clients like your ex-husband.

714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. Your ex husband needs to contact an experienced immigration attorney who can advocate for him to the Federal Government and to the Immigration Court. The attorney can examine his immigration history and his criminal adjudication to provide a legal opinion as to what forms of immigration relief he may have available to him based on existing law. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


Yes there are a lot of reasons for deportation under federal law. I have recently had a case where the language on the plea form had to be written a certain way to avoid deportation. It is really important that you hire an attorney who does criminal and immigration law. There are a lot of facts that have to be known before an attorney can see if there is a possibility to help his status in this country.

Any answer to questions is not meant to be con screwed as legal advise and no attorney client relationship has formed. In order for an attorney to give legal advise, The attorney would need to have an opportunity to ask specific questions from a full and complete disclosure of the underlying facts involved in the question asked.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer