Skip to main content

Deportation and how to deal with creditors and debt collectors

Richmond, VA |

I have a family member who has been incarcerated for about a year now for a DUI. In a few months, he will be transferred to INS for deportation. He has a long criminal past and has an aggravated felony. We have already worked with a couple of lawyers and it seems that he will not be able to fight the deportation. Right now, his creditors are contacting him constantly at our parent's home. A lawyer working on behalf of a financial institution is threatening a lawsuit against him for about $20,000. What is the best way to deal with this matter. Should we contact this lawyer and his creditors and tell them what is going on? Should the family member declare persona bankruptcy?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


He can file for bankruptcy. That will stop the creditor's. He can also write the creditors and tell them to cease the calling. They will have to do so by law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer