Skip to main content

Delayed Tax, Citizenship application/n-400

Tucson, AZ |

I am missing one federal tax year and two years of state tax . I did not have income in those years . So the tax return would have been zero . I was not also required to file tax both federal and state . I was only on student loans . I have my interview for citizenship in less than one week . What should I do ? Can I go to H & R block and file them ? if yes , how can I provide the transcripts for my interview next week ? I have transcripts of the years that I filed but I do not have the ones that I did not file . How long does it take to be processed to show as a transcript ? Can I go to the IRS local office and file my tax , pay all possible debt with one check and get a confirmation that USCIS accepts as transcripts ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

What needs to be done depends on whether you were required to file or not.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.



Thank you very much! That's was a great help. I went and filed federal tax for 2010. The lady at the IRS office told me it was not necessary since my income was below the required income. But I went to H&R Block and filed it. I gave the IRS office a copy and they stamped my copy showing that it was filed on Feb/26/2013. I do not own any tax to the federal government for according to what I filed in H& R Block. The state office gave me a letter that specifically says I do not own the state ant tax. Do you think I need to do anything else?


Citizenship interview is very important As a general rule, it is not a requirement to submit income tax returns. Yet, many officers require it more and more. I think, you should hire an attorney to accompany you to the interview and review your documentation prior to that.


I would suggest that you consult and retain an immigration lawyer. Many people apply for naturalization and end up in Removal proceedings. Dealing with USCIS is too important to forego professional assistance and use yourself as the guinea pig. An imperfect application can have serious consequences for both the pending application and any future application.

If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.