Skip to main content

Deferred Action and Mexican Passport and Travel.

Baytown, TX |

Hi I applied for deferred action on August 23,2012 and did my biometric appointment on sept 13,2012 I'm still waiting for immigration to approve me so my case is still pending my question is I got my unexpired Mexican passport I need to travel from Houston to Michigan and back to houston, Can I use my Mexican passport and take my paperwork to show that I'm waiting for a immigration benefit to aboard a plane?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you are still waiting for a decision, then there may be a problem.

Any extended travel particularly to a border state like Michigan may cause trouble. Too many to count have turned down the wrong road and encountered the CBP or accidentally crossed the bridge in Detroit to Canada. You need a valid unexpired identification document to travel. The CBP or ICE are known to inspect buses and trains within a certain number of miles within border. Detroit is awfully close to the border.

I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before you complicate the situation. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


You can try.

BUT ... until they approve your deferred action ... you are NOT LEGAL in the US and TSA/ICE could give you a problem at the airport.

Most likely they'll "let you go" ... after an hour or two of delay .. if they 'spot' you.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Best to wait until you have been approved.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer