Skip to main content

Defendant 2 x did not show up in court to complete divorce . He ran to Trinidad, Can a subpoena be served

Mahwah, NJ |

Need Defendant to show in court to proceed with the divorce hearing

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


In reality you do not need the defendant to appear for a divorce to be granted. You must simply give him proper notice. That can get more complicated than a pro se divorce. It sounds like you are doing this on your own, and I would suggest that you get an attorney involved otherwise you will be spinning your wheels. Good luck to you.

The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes. This content does not create an attorney-client relationship.


If he didn't show up so far what makes you think that a subpoena would make a difference? File for a default...

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


As long as you can prove he was legally served, you simply enter default and prepare a judgment.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer