Skip to main content

Defamation of character, can a minor sue an adult??

Harvey, LA |

I used to live with this family, and they have spread lies, about how I use drugs, sexually active, gay, etc. I have witnesses and evidence that they are not true. Is there a way I can sue them, or my parents? I am 14 by the way.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


As a minor, you shouldn't even be posting to this site. Your parents are responsible for you, and you should consult with them about the issues you present. I wish you all the best.

If you think my response is the best response, it would help me if you would indicate that. Also, please note that my responses to question(s) are NOT legal advice from me to you because I am NOT your lawyer, you are NOT my client, and we do NOT currently have an attorney-client relationship. Thanks!


To begin with, in most States, if not all, a minor (one who is under the age of 18) can not bring an action by himself/herself. Any action in favor of a minor must be brought by/through the minor's legal guardian - typically a parent. You state that you want to sue your parents - therefore, neither one would likely agree to act, and it is a very complex procedure for you to go to court to have a new Legal Guardian appointed. This is your procedural hurdle, without even getting into whether you actually have a vaild defamation claim, etc. It sounds as if you are no longer residing with "this family" - do your best to avoid them, and hopefully with time, any association between them and the circle of people presently populating your life will diminish and then disappear. Good luck.




All of the other attorneys are correct, as a minor, you really should not be asking for legal advice, unless you are emancipated. And, as a minor, any action that were brought would have to be done on your behalf by your parents, or through the state.

Lastly, in Louisiana, minors cannot sue their parents. Just as wives and husbands cannot sue one another during the course of the marriage. As previously suggested, contact DSS of Louisiana if you feel you are in danger or in an unhealthy situation.

Information provided in this response is intended to be informational or educational only. It in no way establishes an attorney-client relationship. Because every case is factually dependent, it is not possible to accurately answer each question posed. If you have sincere legal concerns, it is highly recommended that you seek legal counsel in your area. Any response is not intended to create, nor does it create, a continuing duty to respond.


Your parents can sue on your behalf.

Definitely consult an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer