Skip to main content

Defamation a board member in co-op

New York, NY |

I am a board member in a co-op where some board members disseminate false allegations against me creating hostile atmosphere. They are telling residents bunch of lies and most people believe that. It harms me because of that I am loosing me position on the board.
What should I do?
How can I protect myself from slandering my good name?
Where should I call and who should I notify about it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I don't think there is anyone to call or notify. You should consult with a lawyer to see if you have grounds for a defemation law suit. It is hard to say without knowing what the Board members are saying because I can think of several defenses that might apply such as opinion and common interest priviledge.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Hire a lawyer. The best and first thing the lawyer can do is send a letter informing these people of the fact that you are represented, documenting the fact that these individuals have said defamatory and false statements, and alerting them that if these actions do not cease and desist, you will consider further action - including your remedies at law. That should put 90% of individuals in line. For the tough nuts, you may have to bring suit.

This answer is made for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party, any partnership, investment plan, arrangement, legal structure or other transaction addressed herein.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer