Skip to main content

Decree of dissolution of marriage ,How to know the original from a copy? I have an interview for GC ( AOS)

Harrisburg, PA |

My husband divorce papers from his ex look like just a copy,I am not sure if they want the original one at the interview or a copy is fine, and how to know the original and where to get it ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

There's usually some kind of seal or stamp on the document. Some have a signature, some don't. Bring the original to the interview. How can you tell the difference? With today's color copies, it's tough.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |


Original. Call the court or a lawyer

VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry Hill, Newark, and Trenton, NJ. Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please visit and share this site:


They will want to see and inspect the original divorce decree document at the interview. You can get the original by your husband calling the court that originally issued it.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


If it is a divorce from the United States, you can call the court that issued the Divorce Decree and get a certified copy. If the divorce is from abroad, each country is different and you should consult an immigration attorney.

Renee Hykel Cuddy (215) 246-9400

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer