Skip to main content

Death of single mom and custody of minor children.

Phoenix, AZ |

My sister recently died leaving behind three girls ages 20, 17 and 12. The father is also deceased. My sister always indicated she wanted me or our other sister to assume custody of her kids in the event of her death. However, her eldest child is convinced she will get custody of her two younger sisters. We have explained to her that she not only doesn't need this responsibility (she is a single mom on welfare with 3 kids of her own) but she is incapable of it. None of us are sure how we go about getting started with the paperwork, etc, needed to transfer custody of the minor children to either myself or my other sister. We do not want the State to become involved and think we can do this without the need for a legal battle. Where do we start?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to contact a family law attorney as soon as possible. The court ultimately decides what is in the best interests of the minor children and it looks like you need to be proactive at this point.


I agree with the prior attorney; you can not do this on your own and need to retain an experienced family lawyer in the county where your sister resided. You need this attorney to advance your position in a legally compelling way. This can only be done by an experienced attorney who deals with these matters on a daily basis. Ask around, talk to people to get a recommendation of such a lawyer. This will give you peace of mind and will fully protect these children in the way you want.

am not a NY real estate attorney and since this is really a real estate question you should probably repost it here under real estate. But my guess would be if the lease was with both your mom and dad, your mom would still be able to take advantage of the rent stabilization rules. Repost and if you do not get a NY real estate attorney to answer, then call around to find one who can help you and any costs would be minor.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is uuthorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States.His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is ;
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency. ,
website is
blog is


I agree that you need to retain a lawyer to handle this - even if you can get the eldest child to agree. If you sister left a Will she may have nominated someone to become guardian of her minor children in the event of her death. If so, that would give you an advantage but you will need to file a Petition for Guardianship in any event. You may also consider filing a Third Party Custody Action.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer