Skip to main content

Death due to hospital neglect

Dallas, TX |

Please help me determine what legal specialty I need to handle my problem. My husband was hospitalized in Amarillo to receive heart stents. During the procedure, the artery plaque became dislodged, resulting in a major heart attack. He was resusitated and underwent an emergency bypass surgery, but (unknown to us) his heart was badly damaged. He lanquished in the hospital for several weeks, and was then dismissed to home without our being told the poor condition of his heart.

He experienced problems the following evening and had to be rushed back to the hospital, where he lanquished for 3 more weeks. Finally, the doctors told us the severity of the heart's condition and suggested heart transplant. They arranged for his admission to the transplant program at Baylor University Hospital in Dallas. We went there and he received a transplant a short time later. He was doing great a week later. But before he could progress to the point of leaving the hospital, he contracted a c-diff infection that is common in hospitals and very deadly if not promptly diagnosed and treated aggressively. And in my husband's case, he had several known risk factors (including a suppressed immune system due to the drugs he was given regularly to prevent organ rejection). His early signs of infection should have alerted the hospital staff to assess his symptoms and closely monitor his condition to identify the cause. However, they did little for him, and by the time they realized what was happening several days later, the infection had caused colitis, sepsis, and megacolon. He did not survive.

It is this neglect of my husband when he was most vulnerable that forces me to seek legal action. But I feel the doctors in Amarillo are also to blame for causing the initial problem, sending him home as though all was well, and allowing him to lanquish in the hospital so long as to decondition him (which likely played a part in his inability to fight the infection).

I don't know if I need an attorney specializing in medical malpractice, wrongful death, or another field. Please help me identiy the type of attorney I need.

I'm also concerned that the poor medical care occured in two separate Texas cities. Can this all be handled with one suit?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Finding the right lawyer after a nightmare like this one can be very difficult, so I am glad to answer that part of the question for you.

I think the only lawyers you should talk to are ones who handle a lot of medical malpractice. These cases are harder here in Texas than just about anywhere else. If you don't have a very experienced one on your side, you are at a huge disadvantage.

The two issues would almost certainly be handled together in one claim.

Personally, I'd start my search by speaking to Dallas med-mal attorneys, as I think they'll be better positioned to accept the case.

Marc C. Lenahan


An attorney who specializes in medical malpractice would be best able to assist you in evaluating any claims you might have against the health care providers. The claims against both hospitals can probably be handled in the same lawsuit.

I wish you the best in finding an attorney who can assist you in this difficult time.

This response is for informational purposes only and is not, nor is it intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer. An attorney-client relationship may only be created by written agreement of the parties. This information is not a substitute for seeking legal counsel from an attorney with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer