Skip to main content

Dear, I'm an international student studing MBA now. Can I open my business here?

Urbana, IL |

Hope to start my business this summer. I have invited an American classmate as my partner and we have excellent business plan.

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration Business
Attorney answers 3


Good luck


You can only work for your own business while on OPT if the business relates to your major. Once the OPT expires, you would only be able to work for your business if you qualify for an E-2 investor visa.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Creating and owning a business and being able to work for the business are two different matters. In order not to cross any limits, you should consult an attorney for short, medium and long term immigration planning.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.