Skip to main content

Cut off to receive child support arrears

Fonda, NY |

My ex is once again in arrears. I have taken him to court about this several times before and nothing happes. He pays the state min so my kids or I am in no way suffering without his money. He has nothing to do with my kids and I would prefer it this way. I know if I file for collection of arrears again he is going to file something else in retaliation (either support or family) and I don't want to go through all this bull again.
My question is how long can I wait to take him to court for arrears before I will no longer be able to collect? Best case I would like to wait until the children are 18 (they are 7 now) that way it will have added up and I can give it directly to them to help with college. Would anything regarding collection of arrears change if dad was on public assistance?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It's generally not a good idea to wait beyond a few years - but the arrears do continue to mount indefinitely.


I would not intentionally wait. Consult a local attorney. It is like using him as a bank account. How do you know you will even find him later? It is a very bad idea.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns


I'm with Ms. Raddatz. It won't look good if you wait on this.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer