Skip to main content

Criminal Justice Background Check Persuant to Education Codes - 44237 (C) (1). Does this report petty theft to school.

Beverly Hills, CA |

Criminal Justice Background Check Persuant to Education Codes - 44237 (C) (1). Does this report petty theft school.

Beverly Hills, CA

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of California

Department of Justice

I need to have a "criminal background check for a Request for Authorization to Receive State Summary Criminal History Information- Contract Employee for Public /Heritage Private school:

In accordance with Education Code Sections 33192,33195.3 and 45125.1;

and Education Codes - 44237 (c) (1)
Per the dissemination parameters of the CA Dept. of Justice does this mean, in reading Education Code, 44237 (c)(1), the DOJ dessiminate all arrest records? Or, only those that are violent and serious felonys. have a misdeamer petty theft report.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION!! Hello! I know that I have a dismissed Petty Theft on My record. HOWEVER, according to the education codes above it does not clarify if non serious and felonys and violent felonies appear on the record. Can someone please reed the statutes for clarification? Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


With your authorization, as required by this potential employer, your State Dept of Justice criminal record will be provided to this requestor. Don't guess about what "will" show up. Do your homework by obtaining your own copy at any Live Scan. Fast cheap reliable. Use Google to find LiveScan kiosks and outlets throughout CA.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


It is easy to find out by getting your record as my colleague advised.


Once again McCall calls it correct.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.


I would imagine petty theft would show up especially with a private school. A live scan is very thorough and a good way to find out. Furthermore, even with an expungement, theft crimes still hang around on your record. It would also depend on how old the crime was. If over 10 years old, there is a chance an employer would not punish you by not hiring you, if you are not forthcoming and it does show up, the employer will hold this against you. Best to be honest. LAW OFFICES OF VICTORIA CLEMANS. (310) 803-9111.

This is a general statement regarding law and facts and should not be construed as an attorney-client relationship or a solicitation for same.