Criminal defense

Phoenix, AZ |

My fiance is not new to the courts unfortunately but his attitude has changed for the better like staying out of trouble while he is incarcerated and taking the steps that he can to work on himself and staying sober. What we are wondering is, if there is a way or a little secret of what he can do to show the judge in the little time he has that he really is done with his past and he is taking this serious? I know kind of an odd question but we are willing to do anything!!

Your question is somewhat vague, but I have generally found that sincerity goes a long way. A heartfelt statement at sentencing, and an acknowledgment of wrongdoing will usually mean something to a judge. Character reference letters can also help. On the other hand, if the judge or the prosecutor believe that the defendant is trying to "play"them, that will usually blow up any hope for a lenient sentence. Best advice, ask your fiance's lawyer what can be done. Good luck.

The response I have provided is general in nature, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. My practice is based in Rhode Island, and the law and practice in other states or jurisdictions may be different.

But he genuinely is not, its just hard to show someone your true self when they can't get past judging off your appearance

Thomas G. Briody

Thomas G. Briody

Unfortunately appearances count in all societies. Courtrooms are conservative environments. But many judges will respect some effort to accept responsibility and to end the cycle of bad behavior that leads to criminal charges. Only time and persistent effort will lead in that direction.

Are you asking about how he should present himself to the Judge for sentencing? If so, given that his attorney knows his case better than any of us ever could, I believe he should be asking this of his attorney.

His public defender will not call us back out show up to court for that matter

Showing remorse is good. Get an attorney to help present it to court .

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY

If he is free on bond before sentencing he needs to get a job, get treatment, pay child support if he has children, pay his bills and stay out of trouble. Show up at sentencing without a job and without treatment the judge will think he isn't a productive member of society anyway, why not send him to prison to dry out and keep him from being a thief or at least a leach on his family, girlfriend or someone else. Everyone in jail finds Jesus and promises this is the last time.....Watch some sentencings.