Skip to main content

Criminal defense

Saint Paul, MN |

I just got caught stealing $20 or $30 at top foods they gave me a ticket for theft 609.52.(1) well I have to pay a fine or when I have to go to court I haven't been in trouble in over 8 years

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You're being prosecuted for a misdemeanor crime that can have serious implications for your future hopes of getting jobs or housing. Retain an attorney to help you fight the case. It's sometimes possible to obtain a deal to keep something like this off of your record. Good luck.

Do not rely on this information. My office accepts clients from Avvo, but this initial impression is not protected by any privilege and is not attorney-client communication. You should consult a lawyer promptly about your legal matter.


You should hire a lawyer or apply for a public defender. Whatever you decide, you should certainly go to court and speak to the prosecutor. There are programs for which you might qualify that could keep this off your record. Good luck.


I urge you to have attorney assistance and representation in this matter. The potential negative 'collateral consequences' to a conviction likely will be quite severe and affect you for years to come. We avvo attorneys are available. All the best. Tricia Dwyer Esq.

MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL and outlying areas to ST CLOUD. Do seek legal counsel for your personal legal issues and needs. This post is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post is to be considered general information which may or may not apply to your personal situation.


A theft offense can be very serious. While any theft under $500 is a misdemeanor. Such an offense is still punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine. The collateral consequences of a conviction can also be extremely significant and preclude a person from finding employment where background checks are performed.

Often, if you have no prior offenses, a conviction can be avoided with a Stay of Prosecution. A Stay of Prosecution means that the offense is never recorded on your record and stayed for a certain period of time to ensure that you do not have another offense.

You should consult with experienced counsel.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter.


Unfortunately, you are looking at a misdemeanor theft charge. You will need to go to court. You face up to $1,000 fine and 90 days in jail. In addition to that, you will not want this on your record as it could have implications on your ability to find housing, a job or get into school. I recommend retaining an attorney who can help you help yourself by engaging in activities that might help you get a disposition where the theft stays off of your record.