Skip to main content


San Francisco, CA |

I was charged with a Misdemeanor.

It was dismissed in court via PC 1385.

How can i have a clean record and if it ever comes up Have you been ever arrested?

I can write NO!

There was no probation,fine or community service etc either.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No, that would be lying. If case was never actually filed in court you can file a petition to seal/destroy the. Arrest record. But if a job application asks, which I doubt, you must answer honestly. Keep in mind, there is a difference between an arrest and a conviction. If asked whether you have any convictions, you can say no.

Any information provided through in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.


You didin't say if you were actually arrested or not.

I agree with attorney Murillo. if you were actually arrested, then you were arrested.

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.


There is one way to get an arrest off your record and that is by filing a petition under Penal Code 851.8 and proving your factual innocence. You must do this within two years of the arrest. Job applications do not typically ask about arrests. By law, almost all employers are prohibited from asking about arrests, but they will see it on your record of they do a background search. The only way to avoid that is to prevail on an 851.8 motion and that can only happen of you can prove that there is no good reason to believe that you committed the crime.


There is a difference between being arrested and being convicted. It is not too common for employers to ask about arrests, but most ask about convictions. Depending on how the question is worded you may still be required to say yes unless you are granted 851 relief as outlined in a previous answer.

I make it a point to advise my clients that you are much more likely to be denied employment for lying on a job application than you are for simply telling the truth. Especially as it pertains to criminal history, any employer is likely to find out your criminal history whether or not you admit to it.

SLG Criminal Law Group
515 South Flower Street
36th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90071