Criminal check for deferred action policy?

Milford, VA |

Hello, I was just wondering if I need to do a criminal check on me. I'm trying to apply for deferred action, I meet all the requirements. I have two dismissed traffic tickets but other than that no felonies or anything. I already have my fingerprint card. Is it necessary for me to send it to the FBI to be sure that I'm "clean" I wanna start filling out the form. My immigration lawyer told me that it wasn't necessary, I asked her about my birth certificate and she told me that all I needed was my passport... I'm really nervous... I want my package to be well packed with the information needed. And sorry I have trust issues... But I gotta do some research before I make a move.

Best Answer

The deferred action policy is new, and immigration attorneys are going to be better versed that criminal defense attorneys on how to proceed. My suggestion to you is to listen to your attorney, and if you don't trust him/her, go see another immigration attorney.

I have heard many promising hopes about this deferred action policy. But have also heard some downsides. Be careful and go so another immigration attorney. I imagine they do free consultations.

Best of luck,

James S. Abrenio

This answer does not create a attorney/client relationship, but is intended solely in the court of discussion. It is always my recommendation to retain an attorney whenever a court appearance is necessary. This recommendation is highlighted when it relates to an individual's criminal record.

Your immigration attorney appears to be competent and qualified ... don't second-guess her.

___________________________________________________________
Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
CAPRIOTTI INTERNATIONAL LAW
franco@capriotti.com -- 1-503-803-0055 -- www.capriotti.com
SKYPE MULTI-PARTY VIDEO AVAILABLE

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Please see the answer to your other question.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.