Skip to main content

CPS took my children and I lost my rights. Can I file an appeal?

Faribault, MN |

My entire case was a mess. The foster parents were related to the Prosecuting attorney. The PA's assistant was a former EE of the judge and a friend to the caseworker who took my children. I did everything they asked and still lost my rights.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes. You may appeal from final judgment. However, such an appeal is not simple and must be made within a specific time period (usually 60 days). You must retain counsel.

CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at


Appeals are very complicated and have very specific deadlines for certain events. If you miss a single deadline you risk waiving your rights to appeal at all. I suggest speaking with an experienced lawyer to fully evaluate your situation and advise you of your rights.

Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice. Metzger Law Firm, LLC does not represent you nor has Metzger Law Firm, LLC entered into an attorney-client relationship with you.


If this is a recent occurance, then, yes, you certain can appeal. BUT, just because some people knew each other doesn't mean there was bias or that your matter was handled improperly. Frankly, in a small town like Faribault, it is next to impossible for you to not know someone or be a distant relative somehow. That, however doesn't PROVE bias. Your appeal will have to be made on the facts and the law - if your parental rights were terminated, there must have been a reason. You need an attorney ASAP.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.


Hello. I am sorry that you lost your children. Yes, you may appeal. Appeals are quite complex and you face rigid time deadlines for action.

Minnesota licensed attorney

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer