Skip to main content

Court has no record of my speeding ticket

Oakland, CA |

I received a speeding ticket back in June. I waited for a courtesy notice with the bail amount, never received one, and forgot about it.

Recently, I looked at the ticket and saw that the Notice to Appear was for July 9. I called the court and asked about it. They did not have a record of the ticket and told me to call back once a month because the officer has up to a year to turn it in. I called the automated system and it simply said that they have no record of that citation number. This leads me to believe that had I gone to court on July 9, they would have turned me away.

My question is, if the officer finally turns in the citation, am I responsible for fines related to the time delay or does the clock start ticking from when he turned it in?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


As the court indicated, it can take longer than you might expect for the ticket to get added into the system. You should check back with the court periodically as instructed. You may also receive a letter in the mail advising you of the new court date, but calling in yourself is the safer bet. And yes, if you had gone to court on July 9, they would probably have given you the same information and asked you to check back. There should not be any additional fines because of the time delay since you have not had the opportunity for a hearing yet.


Negotiating a good resolution given the circumstances of your case will take an attorney familiar with the policies and procedures of the court where the matter is pending.

It would be worth your while to consult with a traffic attorney familiar with the judges and practices in the court where you received the ticket to explore your options.

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer