Skip to main content

Court grand me visitation with my son but the mother refuses to follow and I have not see him since March.

Atlanta, GA |

I am full time student, I am working and paying a child support also. I have standard visitation which i suppose to pick him up from Friday 6pm and drop him back Sunday 6pm. I really need help with this I am new to this culture and i am really struggling to see my son.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you have court ordered visitation and it is being denied, hire a lawyer to sue the other parent for contempt of court (and possible modification).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


I would recommend speaking to an attorney as soon as possible. The longer you wait to see your child the harder it will be for your child to bond with you. Our firm offers initial consultations at a reduced hourly rate. Many firms do. I would recommend contacting us or another firm as soon as possible so that you can get back to seeing your child.

If you cannot afford an attorney, then I recommend doing the following:
1) Review the contempt packet in the county where you were granted visitation. I am assuming that the order was in DeKalb or Fulton since you listed Atlanta, GA as your location. If not, look for the family law forms for the other counties. If they do not have special free forms, then just review the ones below.
2) Contact the Atlanta Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service to be referred to a family law attorney in your area. They will provide you the name of an attorney who will discuss your case with you for 30 minutes for $45. Because it is a short consultation, it is very important that your review the forms below so you are prepared to ask good questions.
3) Bring a copy of the March visitation order and a filled out petition for contempt to the appointment so the attorney can better advise you.

Good luck!

This post does not create an attorney client relationship. This attorney is only licensed in Georgia.


If she is refusing to follow the court's order, she is in contempt of court. Both DeKalb and Fulton county offer pro se (representing yourself) forms online, but if you are unfamiliar with these procedures, you would be better served by consulting an attorney.