Could this lawyer have done a better job for my OWI 3rd

Brighton, MI |

My 1st was 17 years ago and then i received 2 within a year period. I am college degreed and have no other criminal record and had a successful job. I blew a .22 and entered rehab. The judge in Oakland county still convicted me of a felony OWI which is on my record forever. I know people who have had 8 owi's that still don't have a felony. My attorney didnt' even attempt to lessen the charge. Could and should he have? Is there anything I can do after the fact?

Best Answer

Every case is different. Every judge has their own quirks. Which specific prosecutor had your case is a huge factor. Yes, who your lawyer is, how well they are respected, how well they know the law, and how much fight they put up for you are important.

2 within a year and one with a BAC almost triple the legall limit are not encouraging facts. Few lawyers would be able to get you a misdemeanor in those circumstances without some other fact creating complications for the prosecutor.

"My 1st was 17 years ago and then i received 2 within a year period. I am college degreed and have no other criminal record and had a successful job. I blew a .22 and entered rehab."

Three OUI convictions; two w/i a year would seem grounds for a felony conviction.

The short answer is that you will not get a post-mortem analysis with so few facts on this forum.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

It is not possible to answer your questions without a complete review of what happened. You should consult with your attorney or another defense attorney to see if there is a possibility of appeal.

The Oakland County Prosecutor's office, as a general policy, do not reduce OWI 3rds. The question you pose does not address what happened. Was there a reason to stop you in the first place? Is there a question as to the identity of who drove the car? Is there proof that you drove a car? Was there any types of errors in how the evidence was gathered and processed? The fact that you blew a .22 is not a good sign.

The only ways that the case can be addressed after you have been convicted is through an appeal (if you still have the opportunity to appeal) or through a motion for relief from judgment (if you have otherwise exhausted your other appellate remedies).

I have a hard time believing that the attorney didn't attempt to see if the charge could be reduced. While it certainly is possible, I think it is more likely that he / she attempted to get a reduction and the prosecuting attorney would not agree to such. Was there an accident (even a minor one) with this last incident?

If he / she didn't attempt to have it lessened below an OWI 3rd, it is could have been because of the BAC level, as I have to assume that you were charged with not only OWI 3rd, but OWI w/ High BAC. It sounds like the High BAC charge may have been dropped, so actually your charges may have been reduced - just not in the way you would have liked.

Either way, based on what you have said it is impossible to tell whether your attorney could have done a better job. If you want to clear this matter up, you should politely ask for an explanation from the attorney as to what he / she did with respect to the plea negotiations for your case, and specifically ask why the charge couldn't be reduced below a felony OWI conviction.

The fact you that know others with 8 OWIs that don't have a felony is also irrelevant to your situation. I would not dwell on that, because their situations were likely different in many respects from yours - i.e. the jurisdiction, the judge, their BAC level, the legality of the initial traffic stop, the quality of the dexterity tests, etc. may have all differed from your situation.

An Attorney-Client relationship has not been established. Becket J. Jones is not your attorney.

I agree with Mr. Hilf. You should consult with an attorney to review your case and answer your questions. Maybe consider asking the lawyer to meet with you and discuss the case further. Getting an felony OWI reduced in Oakland County is exceptionally rare.

Is there anything you can do after the fact? Probably not. You don't have a right to have a charge for which you are guilty reduced.

Talk to your lawyer. My guess is that he/she did attempt to have it reduced but was unable to do so. This is not something that can be forced in court unless their are grounds to show that it is not your third offense.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
http://addbalance.com/drunk_driving_lawyer.htm

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer
http://www.facebook.com/MadisonWiDrunkDrivingLa...

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer
http://addbalance.com/fieldsobrietytests.htm

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
http://addbalance.com/duidrugs.htm

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers
http://addbalance.com/duimath.htm

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
http://addbalance.com/duitendaywarning.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

See “more” link below for more important information.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.