Skip to main content

Could the following result in the department of justice filing asset forfeiture either through the civil or criminal process?

Irvine, CA |

Currently under criminal investigation by the irs and the investigation is likely to result in federal criminal charges. Started a new business that has nothing to do with previous ventures and this business was started without any proceeds from previous irs matter. Along with that the new business has followed all rules and regulations and has been timely paying taxes. Wondering if the current irs problems could result in asset forfeiture either civilly or criminally by the department of justice?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It depends on where the funds for the new business came from, who owns it and if you owe money. An IRS investigation means you need an accountant and a good tax attorney at a minimum

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.


The source of the money and who owns business are the key questions. My colleague is correct. You need an accountant and attorney.

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777


In a forfeiture matter, the government can seize or file for forfeiture whether or not a criminal case has been filed. The government has many restrictions in forfeiture matters and on many occasions the claimant (you) should initiate the action if the accounts have been frozen or property seized prior to a trial. You will need an experienced attorney in this area because your set of facts are at the very least mitigating factors. I wish you the best.
for Fairness / for Your Freedom because sometimes good people get into bad situations
(800) 409-7010

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


I agree with the previous answers. An accountant and a lawyer can assist you with this issue. Good luck

877-603-8473 - Peter S. Cameron, Esq. 2445 Fifth Ave. #350, San Diego, CA 92101 - Call 24/7 for a FREE CONSULTATION!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer