Skip to main content

Could I take another J-1 visa from another institution

Yorktown Heights, NY |

I'm a Ph.D. student under J-1 visa with two yrs constraint. Could I take another J-1 from a private research institution (which is not my current university) after finishing my Ph.D. and my academic training.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Have you spoken to your DSO?

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | | | I can help you now.


You have a home residency requirement. You should talk with the DSO. Certain times, as long as you are still in J1, you can stay. Certain times, you need to file for a waiver.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.



what is DSO?

Anu Gupta

Anu Gupta


Foreign Student Advisor at school.


You start by talking to that university and asking this question first.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


This is a very complex situation. An exchange visitor may transfer from one program sponsor to another if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which he or she was admitted to exchange visitor status and if the exchange visitor remains within the same participant category.

Before beginning the transfer process, an exchange visitor should discuss his or her plans with the responsible officer or assistant responsible officer of both programs, make a definite decision about the transfer, and make sure all parties involved have agreed on the date of the transfer.

Certain programs, especially those sponsored by government or nonprofit agencies, may have a program interest in limiting the stay of exchange visitors under their sponsorship and may be unwilling to set a transfer effective date in SEVIS to begin the transfer process.

If you can’t transfer, you can exit the united states and reenter the United States to begin a new program.

There are many other complex issues involved in such a transfer. I recommend you consult with a lawyer that has specific experience in J-1 matters, who also has a subscription to the NAFSA Adviser’s Manual. NAFSA is considered the best and definitive source of information for this kind of situation.

Brian Schmitt
Hake & Schmitt
Attorneys at Law
P.O. Box 540 (419 Main St.), New Windsor, Maryland 21776
Phone: 410-635-3337

Required Disclaimer: This information is generalized and should not be relied upon as legal advice; and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.