Skip to main content

Could I sue for defamation, slander or libel?

Webster, MA |

I was arrested recently and the local police released my mugshot photo as well as the charges brought against me on their FACEBOOK page, effectively painting me as a scumbag in the public eye. Multiple people from my town commented and insulted me. To add, I was 17 at the time of the arrest. Can I sue the police department? Or the people publicly humiliating me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Sue ? Yes
Win? No

Arrest record is public.


A lawsuit would be fruitless.


Probably no real chance of winning. Fortunately, you're 17, and the teasing should pass if you stay out of trouble.

I am licensed in New Mexico and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must considered within that context. In addition, my comments are not intended to create a legal representation but merely to respond to the limited facts presented by the question. Any opinion herein is not meant as a precise statement of legal rights or as a recommendation of any particular course of action. A more complete legal review can be obtained through local counsel.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer