Skip to main content

Could a company file a petition for me while I am in f1 status?Are there any consequences?

Dallas, TX |

I'm currently in f1 status and I have not graduated yet. I have a job offer from a company, and they have offered to file a petition for me(I haven't received the offer officially, but they told me they will do that). The problem is that the job offer is not related to my field of study(its in a different field). Is it okay to accept that? in case the petition doesn't get accepted, will I remain in the f1 status or I might get into trouble?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


What kind of petition are they going to file for you? In a "different field"? You need to get an attorney to help you.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You need to talk to your potential employer's immigration attorney and your DSO for best advice.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


If the job offer is not in your field of study it will probably not be approved. You should consult with an immigration attorney.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer