Skip to main content

Cost of Probate Lawyer

Centerville, PA |

If an Attorney charges on a percentage basis to settle an Estate, should the cost of life insurance and/or other accounts settled outside of probate be factored into that % charge?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It would depend upon the agreement you made. There should be a retainer agreement which refers to this issue. Typically this type of asset would be excluded from a percentage agreement, becuase the beneficiary may not be a party to the agreement.


If in your state it is common practice to charge a percentage of the estate to settle a probate (in some states it is hourly work, some it is a "reasonable fee" which can include some percentage of the estate, and in some states the fees are set by statute (which often calculate the fees as a percentage of the estate being probated).

You will have to see if there is a different rule in your jurisdiction, but normally anything that passes outside of the probate system such as payable on death accounts or assets that have a designated beneficiary such as retirement accounts and life insurance will not pass through the probate (so long as the designated beneficiary has not predeceased the decedent), and therefore those assets should not be calculated in the fees for the probate.

If the attorney helps you fill out the claim forms for the insurance company or some kind of related service, then that would generally fall under a different engagement and you should discuss that separately with your attorney.

Good luck with your case.


With all due respect to the prior attorneys, the rules in PA are not as they state. Under the Johnson case, a percentage can be charged for assets outside the probate estate. However, it is usually a very low percentage.
It should be pointed out that the current trend in PA in my experience is experienced probate attorneys charge on an hourly basis. Do not hesitate to call if you have questions.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients in all parts of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He has an AV Preeminent Rating (5.0 out of 5.0) with Martindale-Hubbel, the highest possible rating for legal ability and ethical standards. Also, he has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer